Search our FrontPage Support Area
FrontPage Support Area Site Map
The following are answers to common questions in the Microsoft FrontPage
Creating a FTP/HTTP download Link in FrontPage
Within FrontPage Editor:
- Open a page where you want to have an download link.
- Either select a piece of text (such as "download update") or select an image.
- Click on the link icon or press CTRL+K or Edit/Hyperlink.
- Select "http:" for the protocol. The text box below the protocol should read
- Type in the full URL of the file after the "/" in "http://"
Note: Make sure you copy update.zip to your root directory or another directory within
your web. If you use a subdirectory,make sure the address you specify includes the
- Click Ok.
- Save your page, and publish.
You now have a download link
- Some sites setup two links. One using "http://" and the other using
"ftp://" since some browsers have trouble with one or the other.
- This requires that the "production" Web server have a MIME type associated
with your file's extension (such as .exe or .zip) and that the browser either have no
entries for that MIME type or an entry that specifies Download. Normally, both conditions
are true for common distribution formats like zip and exe.